Saturday, January 24, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

It was amazing. The last temple open house I went to was when the Timpanogos Temple opened 14 or so years ago (at least I think it was 14 years ago), which I was too young to appreciate and understand. Which made my visit to the Draper temple all the sweeter. I have never visited a temple that was so art intensive. The Teichart's, Dewey's, and other famous artist's paintings adorned the walls of the temple. I was especially impressed with the many paintings that depicted the life and teachings of the Savior. The stain glass was picture perfect. And the interior design leaned heavily towards a warm home. I almost expected to see a couple of family portraits, a picture frame stuffed with pictures of grandchildren, or a coat lazily draped over the banister. As I finished the tour the family ish atmosphere turned my thoughts to my parents and siblings, I surely love them and am grateful for them. I'm grateful for the temple that serves as poignant reminder of the most important things in life.

4 comments:

Jami Jackson said...

that's neat you got to go. I loved your description of it. Isn't it just all about family?

Tiff said...

I went to the Draper Temple Open House as well. It just felt so much at home. Even though the temple hasn't been dedicated, I could totally feel the love of God within the walls of the temple.

Talai said...

Sounds like a neat experience. Did I ever tell you that I have gotten to know the Teicherts. Aaron went to law school with his grandson. Anyway, I always enjoy seeing her paintings now that I can put a face with the painting. And, I agree with Jami, it is all about family so it sounds like they got the feeling just right.

Impulse Savers said...

Cool post Caleb. Minerva Teichert is actually my great great Aunt(or something in the great great realm). She is the reason that my Grandpa even went to church, which in turn helped him to keep his family active and in turn has led to me being active. I very seldom hear about Minerva in the public, so it was good to reflect on her impact in my family history when I read about her in your post. Hope all is well.

~Derrick Turley