Monday, July 13, 2009

What I'll Miss the Most

I graduate in August, exactly one month from today. Over the past few months I have been searching my memory for the gems that I haven't locked away in my BYU memory treasure chest. Back in February ish I began pondering over what I'm going to miss about BYU the very most and I finally realized what it was going to be as I watched my dad scurry across campus, waving to passing students as he went. For the last 4 years my dad has been a major boon for me. I don't know how many times I've been perplexed with an issue only to be prompted to walk up to my dad's office to talk to him. I'll never forget one problem that I had (which actually escapes me at this moment, oddly enough) when my dad was there for me. I dropped down in his extra chair and watched him try to work through a certain issue he was facing. He began talking to me about it, and I as he did I realized that it was weighing heavily upon him. At that point I chose to keep my issue to myself, until he seemed to just stop mid-sentence and ask me, "what's on your mind?" I was surprised by his abrupt mid-sentence halt, and I realized that he knew I came up to his office for a reason and that there was no use trying to get out of this now. After talking out my thoughts and hearing his thoughts and taking a lot of his work time, he hugged me and told me he loved me. There have been times in my life when all I've needed was a hug, and for those very few times--which I can probably count on one hand--my dad has been there to hug me for the majority of them. I guess it's not important to remember the said problem that I had, but I'll never forget how my dad has been there for me during my BYU experience. I will miss those random, office visits. Thank you, dad.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Nice post, very touching.

I can certainly say, amen.

I am glad, however, I didn't have to read a reminiscence about all those young ladies, queuing up to get an autograph (or at least a cell number). ;)

Oh, and WHERE'S THE ILLUSIVE TALE OF THE TOUR de DONUTS? I demand details.

Jami Jackson said...

Reading that brought back memories of when I would visit Dad in his office. I always thought I would still do that, even after I graduated, but life just seems to take hold and I don't think I've made it up there since . . . Those are special times, I agree. Dad will be glad to hear you'll miss those times.

Annie. said...

Your dad is such a great man. We loved taking his class (and I think he loved having us...haha). It must have been so nice to have him there on campus. Lucky you!

Talai said...

That is one memory I wish I had when I graduate with you. Although I'm graduating from BYU I never had the BYU experience. It is so wonderful that you were able to have such womderful moments with Dad. Great post.

Blake said...

That was a great post about your dad. Also in your post before you talked about rain. I dont understand why people dont just learn to play in it. We go to water parks to get wet, oceans to get wet, and swimming areas to get wet. But then it rains and we all run inside. :) I remember throwing on my swimsuit and going outside in the rain. It was fun acting like you were in a swimming pool. I guess I am the only nerd out there. (Danielle says she is with me. At least I have one person to be dorky with)

Sharee said...

That brought tears to my eyes. You have a wonderful father, a man I myself look up to. I know that your family will miss your parents very much. We will all miss them.