Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Amartya Sen was right the world is obsessed by money and not with elementary freedoms...

I'm still getting over it... I'll never forget the look on the little boys face as I tried to explain to him that the owner of the camel took all of my money and that I expected the owner to pay this little boy who spent an hour of his time taking me through the pyramids... I gave him everything that I had which wasn't much, but seeing the disappointment hurt, I wish I would have specifically stashed more money in my pocket when I left my house this morning. This situtation hurt much more then it did when I saw a man learn yesterday that he would never have vision again (at least he now knows and can plan accordingly).

It was hard for me mostly because of the manipulation that I saw take place. Grown men took all the money I had on me at the time, and knowing they took all of my money told the boy (this I learned much later) that if he took me through the pyramids (which was really the grown men's job) that I would pay him for his work. I would have much rather they robbed me of all my money at least there would have been some degree of honesty in that case. My heart aches that I cannot give that boy what he truly earned. Maybe I'll see him again, at least I hope so. I'm not sure if this makes sense, I'm not sure if I really communicated it very well. This situation may be harder for me to bear considering the book that I am currently reading called Development as Freedom by Amartya Sen. He speaks often that people in the developing world often choose money first and freedoms second. They choose to have the money so that they are taken care of in the short-run (maybe a few hours to a few weeks), what they don't realize is that they give-up certain freedoms in the short-run they may also be giving-up longevity, sustainability, and even profitability in the long-run. I realize that many of these people have to eat and drink and that it can be a matter of survival, but this doesn't necessarily rest with them, it rests with those who often choose their destiny. Amartya Sen explains:

In the freedom-oriented perspective the liberty of all to participate in deciding what traditions to observe cannot be ruled out by the national or local "guardians"--neither by the ayatollahs, political rulers, nor by cultural "experts". The pointer to any real confilct between the preservation of tradition and the advantages of modernity calls for a particpatory reslution, not for a unilateral rejection of modernity in favor of tradition by political rulers, or religious authorities, or anthropological admirers of the legacy of the past. The question is not only not closed, it must be wide open for people in the society to address and join in deciding. An attempt to choke off particapatory freedom on grounds of traditonal values simply misses the issue of legitimacy and the need for the people affected to particpate in deciding what they want and what they have reason to accept.

In short Amartya is talking about democracy and the power that democracy brings. When certain officials choose in behalf of people, cultures, and countries progression can be halted. Just like the free market can pave the way for the strongest and sturdiest economy, democracy can also do the same for progression and social mobility. The people know what they want and what will truly set them free so that they to can experience the blessings of progression. Another key component is education, but I will have to save that for another day--Insha Allah.

5 comments:

Link said...

This makes me think about how blessed we are to live in America. I just finished reading 1776 by David McCullough, and it truly is a miracle that we won the Revolutionary War. The Founding Fathers talked a lot about the "Hand of Providence" how it definitely played a role. Freedom doesn't come cheap. Sounds like an interesting book you are reading, I will have to check it out. Amartya Sen won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 1998 for his work on welfare economics. I am sure I would enjoy reading what he has to say.

Talai said...

My heart broke for that little boy. I can't imagine not knowing what I will eat for my next meal and what it would or would not make me do. I would hope that I would still have the courage and faith to be honest.

Caleb Manscill said...

Lincoln: As I was writing this post I certainly couldn't stop thinking about how blessed I am to live in America. Truly the hand of God has blessed our country and people and I hope that we will never forget that as a nation.

You are right, freedom does not come cheap and I don't think that many people around the world understand. True freedom will not come unless one is ready to give or to give-up their life for. America's freedom came when everybody (well mostly everybody) believed and were willing to give their lives to the cause. Very similar to what I believe happened in the premortal existence. Although some of the burden rests upon the leaders the majority rests upon the people (although the greatest leaders will be the one ones the truly lead the people (which can be good or bad)). All countries that have or will enjoy democracy enjoy it because the people rose up and stood for it... France, G. B., Germany, Japan... to name a few. A few are closely democratic, but still tied with apron strings to certain forms of ruling. Les Mis is all about the French Revolution (well, mostly about the French Revolution). Speaking of... what book are you reading next? Also, thanks for pointing out that Amartya was Nobel prize winner, that's good to know.

Caleb Manscill said...

Talai, I appreciate your introspection, it's good to liken world conditions to our own--it certainly brings things into perspective, at least for me. I do have to say though how impressed I am with these people's resiliency and entrepreneural abiliites. Since there are 18 million people competing for food, money, and water, it's amazing how creative they are in obtaining their needs. You see them every day working diligently for sustenance.

Jami Jackson said...

I feel so bad for that little boy too. It makes me angry that adults think they can take advantage of little kids like that. Hopefully what goes around will come around for him. Glad you are having a good time there. Can't wait to see the camel ride picture.