Saturday, July 26, 2008

Friends and family,

Did you know that airports are some of my places? When you go to an airport you can feel the emotional charge in the air. People come to the airport to see loved ones off, to see loved ones, active military duty, business trips, vacations, funerals, or just to get a away. Airports are a place where big things happen or are about to happen. I met a girl in the Cincy airport as I was waiting for my flight to Rome, Italy. I noticed she was reading the Bible and after a few minutes I asked her if I could share one of my favorite scrptures with her... 2 Corinthians 12:9-10. After sharing it we spoke for about a hour and a half about the importance of making time and room for God in our lives. She began telling me how she was flying to Rome for a consortium of classes on Opera. She began telling me that during her three week stay she had set a goal to read the Bible and pray more. As she said this I saw myself about 7 years ago as I was searching for truth and a stronger relationship with God... I asked her if she had time to read a book I wanted to give her. I pulled out my personal copy of the Book of Mormon and taught her about it and challenged her to read then pray and ask God if the book was true. She was excited and she took the book, but she tried to give it back after she realized that my name was embossed on it. So, I'm out a Book of Mormon for three weeks, but I know the blessings that it can bring to her and it's certainly worth the sacrifice, I hope she'll take full advantage of it while she's in Rome. I'm sure I can find another one on my path anyway, right?

When I got to Egypt I learned that my luggage was still in Rome. It took me two hours to work-out the situation with the baggage folk at the airport. I was sure that my ride had given up on me, but after I made it past customs I saw Yassir Saif smiling and excited to see me. We drove to my new home for three weeks, it's located off of a very busy street. The house is gated and I have keys to the outer gate and house. Two young men live inside the gating as well, they live in the garage--they are paid to watch the house and to help Yassir's family with whatever needs they have. Since I have now been adopted by Yassir's family (a story that deserves it's own posting) that goes for me as well. They are very kind and are constantly making sure that I am comfortable. Late Yassir and I walked the streets where everybody was out in full force partying (another great story that deserves it's own post).

Later that night, 10:30 to be exact, Yassir's cousin and I played soccer on the cement with dozens of other Egyptians, we played until about 12am, it was a blast. The people here stay up super late, so that they can avoid the hot midday weather. Playing reminded me of the late nights where Mike Hall, Mark Stevens, Dave Larsen and I use to stay up late kicking the ball around.

I'm leaving out a lot of details, but I hope to come back and elaborate a little bit more.


Your friend and brother,

Caleb J. Manscill

5 comments:

Annie. said...

Sounds like you've already had an interesting trip!

Kate said...

Sounds rad!

Talai said...

I am glad I can keep up with you through your blog! You are so brave to go overseas alone.

Jami Jackson said...

Wow! I can't wait to hear the details of your trip. Sounds like quite the experience.

Caleb Manscill said...

Annie: thanks for checkin in. Please tell Talon we will be playing horseshoes soon... he has yet to beat me:)

Kat: I saw some sandals that will change your life, if I can (meaning if I come across some that are for sell) I'll buy them for you.

Talai: Miss you. I'll see you in a few weeks. DC for life.

Jami: Give Winslow a kiss for me:)