Monday, July 28, 2008

Raymon,

My good friend. The culture is so new for me and I am still trying to work things out, but with time I will completely understand it. I don't have culture shock, oddly enough (although it has only been two days)... but maybe that's because I love these people more than I expected. The Muslim faith is very misunderstood, even by me, so just being here and seeing it practiced is worth the flight.

There is one family in particular that I spend a lot of time with, their surname is the Saif. The Saif family is from the upperclass. They live with about 5 or 6 other families (all family (sons, daughters, uncles, cousins), most of the family members marry within the family (usually a cousin). The father is Dr. Saif (I don't know his first name and may never know it considering it is impolite to use their first name in public when they are as elite as Dr. Saif is) and he is one of the most kind men I think I have ever met. He pulled me aside the first time I met him (his English is very good (another sign that he is more upper class)) and he told me that he is honored and blessed that I am in his home and that I am now his son and if there was anything that I needed to call him and it will be mine. He told me that his home was my home and to enjoy it as such. He then "gave" me one of his servants to wait on me for whatever I needed, something that I was very uncomfortable with, but understanding their culture all I could do was smile and thank him. Last night I dined with Dr. Saif, his brother, and two other fathers form the household. We had a wonderful conversation about being Muslim and being Mormon. At one point Dr. Saif told me that he loves the Mormon people and he told me that they were wonderful people. He then leaned in close and said that I try to be the best person I can, but I realize that there are much better people then me. Later I had the opportunity to speak to them about Thomas S. Monson (after a lengthy conversation about Mohammed) and as I explained his role and his character I longed for them to meet him, a living prophet. I hope they come to visit me in Utah, for it they do I will do everything in my power and others power :) for them to meet President Monson.

Anyways, Life is good, thanks for asking, Ray. I would love to hear about DC when you get a chance, especially the desert night that you had while you were there. I better go, I have quite a bit to do. Tomorrow I am meeting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs with one of the doctors I have been working with and then I will be going to Alexandria (and the North Shore) for a campaign to treat the impoverished. Please, Ray and everyone keep me updated.


Much love,

Caleb Manscill

6 comments:

KristOlby Manscill :) said...

That was a spicy entry!! Caleb you are rocking the socks of the people of Egypt, Your own personal servant! I think thing that you should see if he would make you a smoothie...haha. Thanks for attacking me with those missionary experiences Caleb, I am the happiest when I see the lights turn on of those that get to partake of the restored gospel, it's like a blanket of warmth to know that there is everlasting joy and we got to eat and share it all the time. All I can say is Rufio Peter!! Gusse what? Me and Halie are going down to Cali together and we are going to meet up with Kat and the Mann fam in Bas lake.

Janelle said...

What an amazing and unique experience. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Please continue to do so. What are you there for?

P.S. This is Hermana/Sister Rountree (now Nutter) from the CSJM.

Caleb Manscill said...

Colby: Yeah, is has been a great experience thus far. I've seen some wonderful things, but I have also seen some things that are hard for me to see... today was especially difficult, it's sad when people choose money over elementary yet pivotal freedoms (see my post).

Caleb Manscill said...

Janelle: Of course I remember you, is that your child you are holding? I'm guessing you have your own blog as well, I'll have to link to when I get a chance. I am here doing some work for a NGO that provides low-cost surgeries to those who cannot afford it. I am also researching a business plan that I hope to one day launch.

How is the married life, being a mother, and now being home from the mission for a few years (5 years now?)?

Ryan and Kiley said...

Caleb,

WOW what an incredible experience! I am so excited for to be learning so much and gaining such exposure to an incredible family and culture. I have a deep respect for the Muslim religion, although sad to say, I do not know nearly enough about it. I can't wait to glean from you the experiences you have while in Egypt. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your blog. You rock.

Caleb Manscill said...

Kiley: I feel like American's in general (and I may be wrong about this) do not understand the Muslim religion and culture enough, in fact I feel like it is one of the most least and misunderstood religions and cultures, but I do feel like the Muslim world can open up a little bit more to us... with that said I understand why they do not, remind me about this and we'll talk about it, it's actually quite interesting.