Thursday, August 7, 2008

Who was happier, the li'l boy eating chocolate or the bride?

Last night I attended my first Muslim marriage. I was really excited to witness such an occassion within this culture. I have gotten to know the couple to be married via my excursions to outlying villages. They are a very enthousiastic couple and will be wonderful parents as well as citizens together. The first thing that I noticed about Summer, the bride, was her beautiful scarf and wrap, it was sparking pink. The second thing I noticed was how happy she looked, she was so excited! The groom, Ahmed, was equally as happy. I love seeing couples that are as excited as they are (unforunately I have been to a few weddings that didn't seem as happy). All of the family and friends gathered into one large room outside the mosque and we watched as papers were signed (this is the legal marriage and not the actual wedding ceremony). The father, legalsman, husband, wife, and Dr. Saif a noteworthy man all signed the papers stating the union was now official. In celebration they began passing around chocolate and little overweight boy began bouncing up and down on his chair. It was so funny, he pudgingly poked at the chocolates and finally picked a brightly wrapped pink one. I got a kick out of watching him enjoy the chocolate. As I looked from him across the room to the bride I tried to figure out who was happier. Oh and I don't know what the big deal about european chocolate is, it doesn't hold a candle to Egyptian chocolate!

4 comments:

Jackson Family said...

You should bring some of that chocolate home. Hmmmm!

Tanille said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you are having a great time and learning a lot about other cultures. I am so jealous. :D

Caleb Manscill said...

Jami: I'll do my best :)

Tanille: Yeah, it was a blast, I really enjoyed the ceremony and I just loved seeing the couple so happy.

Mrs. King said...

Caleb, I will bring you Swiss chocolate and we can compare. NO WAY Egyptian chocolate is better. Just had to throw that out there:) The wedding sounds like it was fun!