Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Why? I just don't understand the walls.

I believe that walls can destroy progression. Progression in personal lifes, relationships, and even with ones spirituality. For the past few days I have an image that I cannot get out of my mind, the walls that surround many of the impoverished communities in Cairo.

Egypts main export is tourism, which makes sense since one of the seven wonders of the world does reside in Cairo. To protect that income source the government has established some systems to make the experience to the pyramids a fulfilling one. I've noticed that they take very good care of the streets, sidewalks, and partitions that are traveled by those seeking the pyramids. One can often see the streets littered with government workers that are cleaning the streets or watering the grass and plants that surround the streets to the pyramids, but there's one thing that has been bothering me and that's the walls that surround the communities that are impoverished. I'm not sure if it's the government or some other entity or group, but I find it irritating... why? Why should these communities/people be hid from the peoples of the world?

This is something that I do not understand and want learn the purpose of these walls (if there is anyone out there that knows the answer to this I would be extremely grateful for an answer). At this point I despise them. I came to Egypt not as a tourist but as one who wants to break down the walls (figuratively speaking, but now, physically as well) that hold back the poor. At certain points in my drives to different destinations there are breaks in the walls where I am able to see what I often see in the outlying villages everyday- rubble, garbage, flys, and disease to name only a few. Do the builders of these walls understand that their construction is that of a graveyard? A place to live is one without walls, without barriers, and without someone else telling you how to live. The walls that surround these communities are not a place to live, but a place to die. At this point I see tombstones and not homes (this is not to be taken out of context, but only from a govenment standpoint--the homes of the poor are wonderful symbols (for the most part) of places where they are trying to do their best). My wish is that whoever is responsible for these walls would build steps in place of the walls as a symbol of life and opportunity. Poverty is a terrible condition, but masking that poverty is worse. I wish that they would not build those walls, but then again maybe I don't understand, maybe there's good reason for them, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

3 comments:

Talai said...

Wouldn't it be nice if they sent the government workers to help clean up the area where people are struggling? I imagine it is very hard to see.

Raymon said...

So...does this mean that you are going to help save Africa with me? :) Ok, let's be honest, we probably need Africa to save us.

Caleb Manscill said...

Talai: Yeah, it certainly would, but since yesterday I have found some peace of mind from personal gospel study. I am grateful for latter-day prophets, they certainly are seers.

Ray: Haha, ya know, I think there's more truth to Africa saving us then we may realize, the things that I have learned as of later are phenomenal. I hope that I can continue to learn like I have out here.